Lawson Lilypie

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Hudson Lilypie

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Where Were You???

Will you be able to tell you kids where you were..... (mainly for me to remember)

On September 11th? I was in college. I had just gotten up and turned the TV on before getting in the shower. The Today Show was on and I saw one of the towers on fire but wasn't sure what had happened. Thinking it was something unimportant, I changed the channel to TNT to watch ER. I got in the car and headed to school and all the radio stations were on news. So I listened for a bit and realized what had just happened. My class was with Dr. Wittig. He came in the classroom all distraught and told us to leave and get to a TV immediately because history was being made. Mitch and I had that class together so some of us left and went to a cafe that had a TV. We sat there in amazement at both these towers that had smoke billowing out of them. Mitch, his family and I had just been in New York the month before and saw these towers. We were sitting in that cafe when the first tower fell. I could not believe what happened. Then the news started coming in about the Pentagon and Pennsylvania. I felt scared, mad and sad. Classes were cancelled the rest of the day. My roommate and I decided to go give blood. The news kept saying that blood would be needed and that UAB would be a place that would send the wounded. Sadly, there were not many survivors. That day will be a day I will forever remember.

On the day we went to war? I was still in college and was doing an internship at NBC 13. I remember my bosses at the time complaining about how this was going to end up costing the station so much money in preempts (spots and money missed due to network coverage on the war). Not sure what that was at the time, I didn't understand. I later found out in my future years at NBC how frustrating it really was. I remember standing in a cubicle watching it all unfold.

On the day they announced Saddam Hussein was captured? We were newly married living in our apartment off 280. It was on a weekend and we were at home. We had turned on the news and saw that he had been found....in a hole.

On the day Osama Bin Laden? It was Sunday, May 1st. We were about to get into bed when I turned the TV on to see some of the coverage on the tornado damage. The local news anchors were on and said that they were getting word that the President was going to make an announcement. They were saying how it must be something big because it was late on a Sunday night for it to be something small. Then the word started coming out that the USA had captured and killed Osama Bin Laden.

No comments:

Post a Comment