Lawson Lilypie

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Hudson Lilypie

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Cruise: Progresso, Mexico- Day 3

So day 3 of the cruise (Monday) we made our way into Progresso. The excursion we were going on was the Dune Buggy Adventure! So at 7:30am (yes on vacation!!) we made our way off the ship and to the area where we would be picked up. From there we took a bus ride to our dune buggy cars. We had a guide who was going to lead us to our first destination, the Xcambo Mayan Ruins. There were eight of us so we were in two cars. Mitch was our driver! And let me tell you about having a heart attack...not because he was a bad driver but the people in Mexico do NOT know how to drive. I mean, there are street signs and traffic lights, but they could care less. It is every man for himself.
waiting for the excursion to begin


ladies and gentlemen...start your engines!


Once I catch my breath and we are on the open road, I am becoming more aware that I am so fortunate to live in America. We were driving down the main road which had water on both sides. There was probably at least an inch of sewage on the top of the water and shacks...not houses..lined up next to this water. The smell was so bad I was having to cover my nose and mouth with my clothes.

So our first stop...Xcambo Ruins. These Mayans traded salt in this region. On the way you would see these boxes and that is how they collected the salt. It was so interesting seeing this place and realizing that people built this hundreds and hundreds of years ago. Back in the B.C. time. We took lots of pictures and walked around.


The Ruins


Me and Mitch on top of one of the ruins

One of the tall ruins

View from up top

Where people were burned after sacrificing themselves

Next stop...the beach resort. We got to this resort and it was an all you can eat Mexican buffet (with hamburgers), drinks (non-alcoholic because this was a dry excursion) and a pool and beach to relax by. We stayed there for about an hour and a half before heading back to town.


the resort where we spent the afternoon

The beach

me and Mitch chilling in the pool

We got back to the port where all the shops were. I just wanted to get back to the ship. The people there were worse than the people at the kiosks at the mall who want to straighten your hair or sell you product. Every where you looked the were wanting you to come in the store and look at their "one of a kind" merchandise.


about to get back on the ship

We got back on the ship and rested for a bit. Later on we skyped with Lawson...he was doing great! He even waved to me and cried when he heard my voice! Broke my heart. We then went to a cocktail party and did a little gambling. I lost the $50 I won playing slots the night before on some really bad hands at blackjack. Then we all met up and went to dinner and called it a night early.

***side note: I never knew flamingos were originally white. They eat shrimp that is in this water that is covered with pink bacteria. This is how they get their pink color. Never thought I would learn something in Mexico!!!

Day 4...Cozumel!

No comments:

Post a Comment